Home, Or Somewhere Just Like It.

by Ohio Impromptu

Ok, here's the deal: tell me what image this poem paints for you. I wrote this based on a picture I saw tonight and I'd like to know if what I have does it justice. After people have said what they think, I'll post the picture. You can also tell me what you think of what I've written. Enjoy.

Home, Or Somewhere Just Like It.

Exile reads as poetry in code,
and we're never sure what home means.
Retreating in a herd of neon lights,
what the blue is to the colour-blind.
And the jagged rocks with smooth edges drink the bitterness,
with images of directions as it reaches their heads.
"...or is it that way?"

Where the stable should never stand,
while the loss of balance talks of finer trends.
A destination's breeze grows in the vacuum,
another reason for the messages.
Static textures, shapeless to touch,
an ethereal wasteland, barren like the thought.

And time takes the form of artificial light,
running scared with steps of spite,
across the way back home.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:03 am
Fireweed wrote a review...

thats awesome. however, it created a lot of different images that didnt quite fit together. id really like to see the picture, the poem is so intriguing...

i really like the idea of writing a poem about a picture and having people tell you what image it creates in their mind. would you mind if i did the same thing? in english we wrote photo poems, and it would be fun to post mine on here. i wouldnt be able to post the pic, though, cuz i dont have a scanner and i dont have the photo anymore anyway.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:07 am
antigone says...

I loved that. As for images... It's night, and there's a highway with lots of lonely blue lights. I don't know. I love the first line. And the whole poem is strangely... haunting, or something. Great job.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:01 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

Its ok guys, you don't really HAVE to reply or anything...

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems